Grand Valley State University
The Grand Valley State University AFP Collegiate Chapter was formed in 2015 to provide students interested in fundraising, philanthropy and nonprofit management opportunities for career development. Undergraduate and graduate student members have access to International AFP resources and have the ability to participate in networking, academic, leadership and philanthropic experiences to gain knowledge about the nonprofit sector and various facets it entails.
The AFP collegiate chapters allow students to identify a cause to support, learn and apply ethical fundraising principles, and support the cause in which they believe, giving them a solid base of understanding and welcoming them into philanthropic and fundraising communities.
Involvement in an AFP collegiate chapter will instill in students the rewards of professional fundraising as a career path and motivate them to pursue it as a career after graduation, as well as highlight the critical role philanthropy plays in our society.
- Various resume building opportunities
- Fundraising experience through the Collegiate
- Chapter’s Philanthropic Project
- Networking events with professionals in the field
- Meet students with similar interests
- Educational seminars and workshops
- Scholarship opportunities
- Opportunity to earn the Certificate in Fundraising
- Access to internships and job shadowing opportunities
- Attendance to professional AFP program meetings
- Leadership experience
- Knowledge of nonprofit management (can be beneficial across may industries, most positions within a nonprofit require some knowledge of fundraising)
- Access to on -line membership directory
- Member discounts for West Michigan Chapter events, the International
- Conference, First Course in Fundraising, CFRE Review Course, and other AFP programs.
- Must subscribe to the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice
- Must be a student and be enrolled in a degree-granting, certificate or diploma program at Grand Valley State University.
- Part-time graduate students are eligible unless they are working full-time for a nonprofit organization, in which case they are encouraged to join their AFP chapter.
- Membership Dues: $40.00 (National Chapter Dues; $35.00 Collegiate Chapter Dues; $5.00)