Major Gift Officer
Mary Free Bed
About the Position
Division: Advancement and Development Department.
Responsible for managing relationships with current and potential mid-level donor prospects determined to have the ability to make gifts in the $1,500 to $10,000 range (but is not limited to these amounts). Must develop and implement strategies for securing financial support from a portfolio of donor prospects including identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts for the Mary Free Bed Foundation. This position will involve volunteer leaders in development initiatives as well as establishing and maintaining valuable relationships with Mary Free Bed stakeholders and other community leaders.
• Focus on Patient Care. A selfless drive to serve and heal connects all MFB employees.
• Clinical Variety and Challenge. An inter-disciplinary approach and a top team of professionals create ever-changing opportunities and activities.
• Family Culture. We offer the stability of a large organization while nurturing the family/team atmosphere of a small organization.
• Trust in Each Other. Each employee knows that his/her co-workers can be trusted to make the right decision for our family, patients, staff and community.
• A Proud Tradition. Years of dedicated, quality service to our patients and community have yielded a reputation that fills our employees with pride.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Director of Major Gifts and Donor Relations
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. If you require a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of this position, you must request accommodation in writing, within 182 days after you know or should know of the need for accommodation.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Develops and manages identified list of active major gifts prospects and implements strategies for solicitation and stewardship of these prospects.
- Researches potential grant opportunities from both private foundations and tax supported entities, writes grants as necessary as well as post award grant reports.
- Works independently and be self-motivated to cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Working with the Director, creates and implements special events for the purpose of cultivation and stewardship of major donors.
- Conducts programs to acquaint donors with the program needs of the hospital. Provides appropriate recognition to benefactors and volunteers.
- Works with Marketing Department to develop promotional publications, web content and other communication tools used in conjunction with donor activities, special events and to cultivate relationships with donors and others in the community.
- Works with the Foundation team to process gifts and maintain accurate accounting of all unrestricted income and its sources.
- Reports to the Director of Major Gifts and Donor Relations; works with the entire department staff, members of the Mary Free Bed Guild and Hospital Board, and volunteers.
Customer Service Responsibilities:
Customer Advocacy – Interacts with all customers using the Mary Free Bed Organizational Customer Service Standards.
Customer Service –Demonstrates excellent customer service standards and behaviors. Encourages, coaches, and monitors teamwork and direct communication with co-workers. Deals discreetly and sensitively with confidential information.
Essential Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Five or more years of proven fundraising experience, preferably with significant foundation and mid-level and/or major donor fundraising experience.
- Knowledge, familiarity, and understanding of the West Michigan community.
- Proven ability to achieve revenue targets.
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base.
- High-energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative with an ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development.
- Sense of urgency, collaborative team style, and ability to quickly adapt to changes in priorities with strong decision making skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks for timely project completions.
- Hard worker with strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with a broad array of people
- Demonstrated commitment to organizational mission with a “whatever it takes” attitude to get the job done.
- Strong verbal communication skills with ability to participate in public speaking events; ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, Power Point and donor database systems
- Able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (up to 1/3 of the time)
- Able to lift, carry, push, pull, up to 10 pounds occasionally
- Able to sit for the majority of the time, but may involve brief periods of time involving walking or standing.
- Able to use keyboard frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of the time)
- Occasional Night and Weekend activities
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Experience working in a healthcare and/or non-profit setting
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge software
How to Apply
Resumes can be submitted online: https://jobs-maryfreebed.hctsportals.com/jobs/search
About the Organization
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care.
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Mary Free Bed values diversity and inclusion among patients, families and staff. We strive to hire people who reflect the communities we serve. Our employees will serve all patients, families and each other with dignity and respect.