Foundation Development/Major Gifts Officer Specialist
Ascension Borgess Foundation, Kalamazoo, MI
About the Position
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major level gifts, currently defined as $10,000 to $1,000,000+. Reporting to the VP/Chief Development Officer, the MGO will develop and deepen relationships with high-level Board members, Borgess leadership, physicians and other hospital leaders, development colleagues, and donors and prospects. The MGO is a collaborative fundraiser with a track record of closing major-level gifts, ideally within a multi-unit, fast-paced medical, scientific, and/or research-intensive environment. The successful candidate will possess the stature, poise, intellectual agility, and interpersonal skills to work with all constituents. The MGO will build sustainable, long-term philanthropic relationships between Ascension Borgess and its major donors while meeting annual and campaign fundraising objectives.
As a regional health system, the Borgess Foundations operate regionally as well. Although each Foundation operates separately with independent Foundation Boards of Trustees, the Foundation staff report centrally through the Chief Development Officer of the Ascension Borgess Foundation in Kalamazoo.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability to embrace the Catholic mission and values and translate those values to a broad array of constituencies
- Stature and intellectual depth, combined with the leadership skills required to produce major gifts that meet donor and hospital objectives.
- A demonstrated record of successful major gift work, including the design and execution of identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies across the major giving spectrum.
- Capital campaign experience (preferred), ideally within a healthcare environment, medical center or complex higher education institution.
- Self-motivation and goal-orientation with entrepreneurial instincts, intellectual curiosity, energy, and a sense of humor.
- Poise, sophistication, and emotional maturity
- Fearlessness combined with diplomacy
- A collegial and collaborative team approach combined with a desire to work in a fast paced, high-performing environment
- Superior interpersonal skills and the capacity to develop effective relationships with physicians, high-level donors and volunteers, prospective donors, senior administrators, and other staff
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills
- The ability to solicit and understand complex medical and scientific information and then interpret, translate, and communicate this information to diverse constituencies in an effective and compelling manner
- A commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and excellence
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred, advanced degree preferred.
- Five to seven years of professional fundraising experience, preferably with a healthcare, research, or academic organization.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) highly desired.
How to Apply
If interested, please contact Shelly Cichy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
About the Organization
Based in Saint Louis, MO, Ascension Health is a Catholic faith-based, not-for-profit healthcare organization. It operates more than 2,600 sites, including 150 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Spiritual care and a holistic approach that comprises mind, body and spirit is fundamental to Ascension’s identity and a tangible expression of its mission and values. Ascension Michigan operates 16 hospitals throughout the state, four of which are Ascension Borgess Hospitals. Ascension Borgess is a regional health system located in south west Michigan. It comprises four hospitals Ascension Borgess (Kalamazoo) Ascension Borgess-Pipp (Plainwell), Ascension Borgess-Lee in (Dowagiac), and Ascension Borgess Allegan (Allegan).
Why Join Our Team
Ascension Michigan employs over 20,000 compassionate caregivers across 16 hospitals and hundreds of related healthcare facilities. Our care teams are dedicated to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of the communities we serve. We provide generous paid time off for work-life balance, a collaborative work environment, professional development opportunities and more to help our associates flourish personally and professionally. If you are looking for a rewarding career in healthcare, we invite you to apply today.
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all. In FY2020, Ascension provided $2.4 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs. Ascension includes more than 160,000 associates and 40,000 aligned providers across a national network of ministries. We offer rewarding careers across more than 2,600 sites of care – including 146 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension Borgess is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster: