External Relations Officer
Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty
About the Organization
The Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty is a leading international organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Acton Institute is an interfaith, educational non-profit, our mission is to promote a free and virtuous society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles www.acton.org.
About the Position
This position is located in Grand Rapids, MI (www.experiencegr.com/about-grand-rapids/grand-rapids-recognitions, www.michigan.org.)
The role requires that you are currently legally authorized to work in the USA for any employer.
We are currently seeking an External Relations Officer to join our talented Development Team. As External Relations Officer you will play a vital role in Acton’s development initiatives by working closely with our Director of Development to create and implement strategies to maximize our major gifts efforts and subsequently grow revenue for the Acton Institute. The External Relations Officer will be responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with existing major donors, as well as identifying and cultivating relationships with prospective donors. The ideal candidate for this role will have extensive experience in generating revenue while working in a fast-paced and multi-faceted environment.
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to align efforts and establish goals.
- Manage a donor portfolio (estimated 150 donors) by cultivating relationships through frequent communication and keeping them informed on Acton’s work and the impact of their contributions.
- Cultivate and grow portfolio by implementing strategic moves management.
- Conduct 65-90 major donor meetings annually to present on Acton’s mission and ongoing projects.
- Produce reports following donor meetings.
- Conduct timely acknowledgement of contributions.
- Establish metrics and use data to track, analyze, and prepare monthly reports to analyze progress and subsequently determine necessary actions to maximize productivity.
- Participate in events and other advancement activities as assigned.
- Book travel arrangements and submit expense reports.
- Read 2 fundraising books per year and brief the development team on key points.
- An understanding and passion for Acton’s mission.
- Demonstrate a desire and ability to help promote a free and virtuous society.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continual learning.
- BS or BA degree.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with proven track record of setting and achieving fund raising goals.
- Ability to give persuasive presentations to achieve desired fundraising results.
- Successful relationship building skills.
- Creative in developing and implementing unique ways to grow revenue.
- Excellent team player attitude and demonstrates professional decorum at all times.
- High level of responsiveness and urgency.
- Experience with Wealth Engine, Sales Force, and Raiser’s Edge software programs is a plus.
- Ability to travel (estimated 30-35% travel, occasional weekend travel included).
How to Apply
Qualified candidates interested in our mission and the synthesis of free markets and morality are encouraged to apply!
To be fully considered for this opportunity, please send the following to Talent@acton.org and address your letter and application to the Human Resources Department:
A cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of the Acton Institute;
Your salary history and expectations
Incomplete applicant submissions will not be considered. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview.