Donor Relationship Manager
Community Foundation for Muskegon County
About the Position
Reports To: Vice President of Development and Donor Services
FLSA status: Full-time, salaried
The Community Foundation for Muskegon County is seeking a Donor Relationship Manager to join the Development and Donor Services team. This person assists donors in achieving their philanthropic goals by helping facilitate their giving and providing services to enhance the impact of their current and legacy giving. The position involves working closely with the other members of the Development team, taking initiative where appropriate and working independently within prescribed guidelines. The successful candidate will possess donor/client development and/or fundraising experience, excellent communication and relationship-building skills, and the ability to work both independently and as a team member.
These are intended to describe the general requirements for the performance of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. All duties are to be performed in accordance with established Community Foundation policies, standards, and protocols.
Build and foster relationships with new and current donors, including individuals, service groups, businesses, and nonprofit organizations, in an effort to grow philanthropy in Muskegon County and meet donors’ philanthropic goals. This position:
- Solicits donations and planned gifts from active or potential donors.
- Stewards and provides high quality donor services ensuring continued support and cooperation.
- Consults with donors and various professionals and provides appropriate advice and guidance concerning estate planning, charitable trusts, tax implications of donations, and other matters of concern.
- Engages nonprofit fundholders regularly in providing fund updates, building their funds, handling fund inquiries, changes, amendments, etc.
- Prepares fund agreements in accordance with legal requirements and donors’ wishes.
- Tracks and monitors relationships with donors, builds profiles of donors, and researches donors’ interests, giving patterns, and philanthropic capabilities through the use of the Foundation’s Information Management System (FIMS).
- Works with Community Investment staff to connect the Foundation’s programmatic expertise to donor interests and ensure that these resources are available to donors. This may include the creation of donor events, educational forums, or arranging site visits.
- Assists geographic affiliate directors as needed.
- Keeps current regarding trends and strategies in community foundation development and donor services as well as applicable laws and regulations, through reading of professional literature and attendance at appropriate seminars, conferences, and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the area of nonprofit donor development or other constituent relations. Preferred candidate will have five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in professional donor/client development and cultivation and/or fundraising activities.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and interpersonal and group relationship building. Strong listening and collaborative skills, ability to organize a body of work and effectively manage deadlines while maintaining focus. Well-developed research skills and the ability to synthesize new information readily. Comfortable relating to diverse groups of people and professionals in a variety of fields. Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel, and an ability to use or learn online tools such as Prezi, Piktochart, Google Docs, etc. This position makes extensive use of FIMS, so database management skills – or a willingness and ability to learn – are important.
Special Work Requirements
- Provide safe and reliable personal transportation. Must be properly licensed and insured so as to be able to conduct Foundation business on a reimbursable basis.
- Occasional travel throughout the State of Michigan to other foundations and employment related conferences.
How to Apply
- Submit cover letter with salary requirements
- Resume and/or application
to Rick Cornell at email@example.com or
425 W. Western Avenue, Suite 200, Muskegon, Michigan 49440 by June 5, 2019.
About the Organization
Diversity, equity and inclusion are important values of the Community Foundation. We are striving for a diverse workforce, made up of staff that represents the communities we serve.