Director of Philanthropy and Membership
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
About the Position
Position Summary: Provide inspirational leadership and management to the Philanthropy and Membership departments, and actively participate in the management team and serve as a staff liaison to the Board of Directors and to committees of the board as related to this position. The Director will take a lead role in stewardship and ensuring we honor all gifts.
Supervisor: President and CEO.
Pay Type: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt.
- Understand the complex and broad scope of the philanthropic landscape of West Michigan.
- Understand and take a lead role in honoring and providing stewardship to the gifts received by all donors, The Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Foundation, and The Meijer Foundation.
- Provide leadership, support, and guidance to the members of the Philanthropy and Membership departments.
- Develop, organize, and lead donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship efforts for annual funds, tributes, sponsorships, grant writing, and fundraising events.
- Lead efforts related to new, renewing and returning members as well as member stewardship events.
- Lead responsibility for donor and member benefit fulfillment.
- Ensure all applicable regulations and laws regarding charitable giving and donor acknowledgement are followed.
- Direct all programs and policies including the development of goals and budgets.
- Draft, propose and implement approved operational budgets.
- Proactively communicate.
- Display accountability, accurate attention to detail, confidentiality, cooperation, timeliness, and guest-centric attitude.
- Report and communicate the above and any other duties assigned by the President & CEO.
Education and/or qualifications preferred:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or any combination of equivalent education, training, and work experience.
Experience: At least 8 years of experience in philanthropy, fundraising, nonprofit management, communications and marketing. Minimum 5 years supervisory experience required.
Skills/Knowledge/Licenses: Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software desired. Multitasking, flexibility and quick decision-making skills required. Must have leadership and management skills to lead department staff.
Working Conditions: Regular office environment; occasional assignment to off-shift duties. Requires the willingness to work nontraditional hours and attend external events. Requires ability to operate computer and other office equipment, plus mobility in office, grounds, and exhibition areas. Ability to lift to 10 pounds frequently and up to 25 pounds occasionally. Physical presence on the premises is required to interact with Philanthropy and Membership team members to meet team objectives.
- Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens’ mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles, with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and treating others with dignity and respect.
- Embrace that we are a nonprofit institution that serves the public and you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.meijergardens.org/contact/careers/ or send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
All candidates are required to submit to our background and drug screening process.
About the Organization
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park promotes the enjoyment, understanding, and appreciation
of gardens, sculpture, the natural environment, and the arts.
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.