Director of Development
Diocese of Gaylord
About the Position
The Director of Development will lead and cultivate a robust development program within the diocese that focuses on donor relationships through effective discovery, cultivation, and stewardship activities. The director is responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with major donors as well as identifying new donors. The director works closely with Finance and Communications teams on projects related to the Catholic Services Appeal and other diocesan fundraising efforts.
- Ability to empathize with donors and clearly communicate the mission of the Church.
- Energize team members, persuade prospects, and persevere to the end.
- Self-starter driven by results.
- Agile problem solver who is open to learning new strategies.
- Passionate about the mission of the Catholic Church.
- In a team environment, lead the development of fundraising and donor appreciation plans to meet both annual and long-term needs of the diocese.
- Secure gifts $10,000+ with the goal of raising at least $500,000 annually from major giving and foundation solicitations.
- Lead the annual Catholic Services Appeal Campaign.
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including donor database and wealth screening tools.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist parishes with the solicitation (e.g., provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Lead donor thanking and reporting efforts.
- Prepare and manage grant applications and reporting as applicable to the diocese.
- Prepare reports using specific metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, fundraising or related field.
- At least two (2) years of non-event fundraising or related customer services/sales experience. Supervisory experience is a plus.
- Practicing Catholic in good standing with the Church.
- Track record of providing excellent customer service and valuing the generosity of others.
- Working knowledge in digital marketing.
- Excellent writing and compelling speaking skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies. Comfort with video conferencing a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and familiarity with LEAN methods a plus.
- Proficient in using a database. Experience in donor software, particularly Raiser’s Edge, a plus.
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, with current auto insurance and the ability to travel throughout northern Michigan.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as required.
How to Apply
Resumes and cover letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Director of Human Resources
611 West North Street
Gaylord, MI 49735