Director of Development and Communications
Public Media Network
Public Media Network seeks a dynamic and skilled storyteller with energy and creativity to take our
development and communication efforts to a new level. Our mission is to empower people through
media to amplify creative expression, community dialogue, and cultural understanding. Serving the
Greater Kalamazoo area for more than 30 years, Public Media Network is a nationally recognized
Community Media Center. As the media landscape continues to evolve, we are looking for a flexible
and innovative leader to co-develop a long-term strategy for fund diversification and public awareness.
The Director of Development and Communications is responsible for securing financial resources
through grants and appeals which support Public Media Network’s programs and services. The Director
is also responsible for helping to build and manage Public Media Network’s brand and all aspects of
marketing communications in order to raise awareness of the organization and its impact in the Greater
The position reports and works directly alongside the Executive Director. Public Media Network is a
nonprofit organization with a unique funding structure that requires the organization to shift its
strategies over the next 3-5 years. Our member municipalities receive funds from cable TV providers
and pass on a percentage of which to the organization to support our services. These funds represent
approximately 90% of our annual budget. The other 10% of our budget is from a combination of fees
for service, program services, and development activities. As traditional cable revenues decline, this
position will help create a path for sustainable growth through expanded and new fund development
The Director of Development and Communications is a senior level position with room for growth. We
are at a point of evolution for the organization with opportunities to engage new communities and
expand our impact.
- Manage all fund development activities from start to finish, coordinating and delegating with leadership and appropriate staff.
- Lead the creation of a comprehensive annual development plan, in collaboration with the
- Executive Director, with targeted goals, objectives, methods, quantifiable outcomes and timelines to achieve budgeted goals.
- Initiate and develop new ways to generate revenue by building a network of donors.
- Manage and ensure strong donor relationships, including writing/tracking acknowledgements and thank you letters
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with volunteers, community leaders, donors, and fund recipients to generate necessary resources.
- Design,plan, and implement special appeals (including year-end appeals) with solicited input on key messages from appropriate staff and copy/editing review from Executive Director.
- Identify and build relationships with foundations and corporations aligned with PMN’s strategic vision.
- Manage grant writing for the organization, including editing and writing of grant proposals for general operating and capacity-building funds.
- Write grant reports based on funder guidelines.
- Manage donor and relationship database.
- Create annual grants
- Facilitate annual fundraising and engagement event(s).
- Effectively convey energy, meaning, and importance of Public Media Network’s mission and work.
- Grow positive awareness of the organization to strengthen its reputation with clients, funders, and the communities it serves.
- Assist and lead brand strategies and messaging to position with organization with greater opportunities.
- Develop and execute with the Executive Director a comprehensive communications and outreach plan that includes events, social networking, email communication, annual report, website, newsletters, and branding.
- Oversee all email communications,working with staff to implement high-quality, audience- specific emails.
- Develop web content and communications materials, including letters, emails, fliers, videos, and other materials.
- Report monthly on communication analytics.
- Work closely with staff to review program services to obtain information for reporting comply with donor expectations, and be aware of programmatic needs for funding to fill gaps or unmet needs of clients.
- Work with program staff and Executive Director to grow and develop fundable activities and outcomes in line with PMN’s strategic goals.
- Stay informed on trends in community media, philanthropy, and best practices in donor- centered fund-raising and communications.
- Value and leverage the power of external networks and relationships.
- Plan and prepare internal and board reports.
- Passion for the mission of Public Media Network
- Skilled fundraiser with ability to balance strategic and operational needs
- Natural writer and communicator with ability to weave several themes into a master narrative.
- Previous experience in development and/or communications for nonprofits
- Culturally responsive and committed to equity
- High attention to detail, including accuracy and efficiency
- Excellent time-management skills, including ability to balance multiple and sometimes competing priorities
- Ability to work calmly under pressure as a high-functioning team member
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Effective presenter, active listener, and open to new ideas
- Work both independently and in a team environment
Desired Knowledge and Skills
- Experience with nonprofit donor databases and marketing systems (SalsaLabs ideal)
- Experience with website content management systems and graphic design software
- Skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers
- Bea “self-starter”, goal-driven, and able to hold one-self accountable
- Ability to supervise volunteers
- Background in messaging or brand engagement
- Understanding of community media, nonprofit media or digital inclusion.
Suggested Training and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in professional fund development and/or nonprofit communications.
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the skill, knowledge, and abilities required.
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Compensation: Competitive and dependent upon skills and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation, paid holidays.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development
and Communications in the subject line, or by mail to Public Media Network, attn: Director of
Development Search, 359 S Kalamazoo Mall, Suite 300, Kalamazoo, MI 49007 by August 31.