Director of Development and Communications
Blandford Nature Center
About the Position
The Director of Development & Communications is responsible for managing an active and public-facing department at Blandford Nature Center. This department is responsible for all fundraising activities, special events and facility rentals, and organizational marketing and communications. It also includes Visitor Services and Gift Shop management. This position directly supervises: one full-time Marketing and Communications position, one part-time Development Coordinator (database and other support), and three part-time Visitor Services employees.
Work in this department includes: preparing comprehensive fundraising plans, motivating and coordinating efforts of board members, volunteers, and staff in fundraising activities; and educating, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospects. Given the close relationship between communications and fundraising, the Director of Development & Communications also supervises staff and volunteers as they accomplish goals related to marketing and communications.
FLSA Status: Exempt Full-Time
Reports to: President/CEO
This is an exempt, full-time position working 40+ hours per week. The work schedule is flexible, but is generally weekday business hours with evenings and weekends required for special events. The pay range for this position is between $65,000 – $80,000 per year, depending on experience. This position qualifies for paid holidays (8), birthday pay, 120 hours of annual leave (PTO), participation in health insurance, Blandford Nature Center Membership, and participation in a SIMPLE IRA plan with an up to 3% employer match.
Administer the Comprehensive Fundraising Program
- Plan, set goals, and execute initiatives for the annual fund, the membership program, foundation grants, major gifts, planned giving, government relations, and special campaigns and fundraising events/galas
- Engage the President/CEO, board members, and staff in strategic conversations and activities tied to planning and securing philanthropic funds
- Work closely with the President/CEO and the External Affairs Committee Chair to organize and focus the work of the Committee
- Collaborate with the President/CEO and Board/External Affairs Committee members with identifying and setting up meetings with key donors/prospects
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, steward, and recognize donors and prospects
- Inform donors and prospects about the Center’s mission and programs, develop the case for support, and create opportunities for giving
- Manage donor tracking system to ensure accountability and support long-term goals
- Provide leadership to the fundraising program by securing funds through individual and team efforts
- Build a donor stewardship program
- Oversee appeals, correspondence, and record-keeping
- Supervise the planning and implementation of all fundraising events, including benefit breakfasts and the Jeans & Jewels Gala
Administer the Comprehensive Marketing & Communications Program
- Lead the development of the organization’s annual report including data collection, participant success stories, design, and dissemination
- Lead the development of informational and solicitation materials, and supporting other fundraising communication projects as needed
- Oversee the creation and disbursement of external communications including social media and web communications, brochures, media kits, and publications
gift acknowledgement processes and managing donor communication and stewardship
- Supervise and support Visitor Services staff and volunteers to ensure that Blandford Nature Center is professionally-represented and makes the best first impression possible
- Conduct training for Visitor Services staff related to programs, registrations, how to promote memberships, and how to capture admissions
- Work closely with the Finance & HR Manager to ensure proper accounting of fees, admissions, and other money coming into and going out of the organization
Administer the Facility Rental Program
- Oversee the Venue Management Agreement with our preferred caterer
the management of one-off rentals that do not fall under the Venue Management
- Create and manage a Development Department budget that includes fundraising/rentals/marketing goals and expenses
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Train and mentor staff and volunteers in fundraising practices and techniques
- Provide monthly department reports to the President/CEO and External Affairs Committee Chair
- Attend staff meetings and participate in staff development
- Assess Department operations and recommend improvements to President/CEO
- Coordinate with other staff and follow appropriate bookkeeping procedures as needed
- 5+ years of fundraising experience with demonstrated success as an individual and as a member of a fundraising team within a nonprofit organization in all areas of fund development, including annual fund, major gifts, grant writing, corporate sponsorships, planned giving, administration, and correspondence
- Familiarity and/or direct professional experience in marketing and communications
- Previous supervisory experience required
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent computer skills required. Knowledge of DonorSnap and Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Criminal history background check will be required
- Valid driver’s license required for periodic errands
The attitudes and personal characteristics demonstrated in this position are
- Enthusiasm, poise, flexibility, a sense of humor, and a positive attitude
- Self-motivated, problem solver with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple assignments and activities
- Projecting a positive and professional image within and outside the organization
- Make decisions requiring good judgment in the absence of specific directions
- Detailed-oriented, meticulous and organized
How to Apply
Please visit blandfordnaturecenter.org/employment-opportunities/ and click on the Job Board button to complete your application.
- Submit cover letter AND resume as one (1) document when prompted to upload your resume
- List three (3) professional references and NOT three (3) personal references
Posting will be open until position is filled; interviews will begin as qualified applications arrive.
About the Organization
Blandford Nature Center’s Mission:
To engage and empower our community through enriching experiences in nature.
Blandford Nature Center’s Vision:
A thriving, diverse community that supports a healthy, natural world.
Blandford Nature Center’s Values:
- Inclusion: Intentionally welcoming and embracing everyone
- Stewardship: Responsibly using and caring for all our resources
- Integrity: Demonstrating honesty, authenticity, and transparency within our organization and community
- Experiential: Providing direct opportunities to enjoy, explore, and learn in nature
- Partnership: Connecting and collaborating to effectively serve our community
- Innovation: Using creativity and curiosity to continuously improve
The policy of the Blandford Nature Center is to ensure that diversity, inclusiveness, and respect are integral parts of our day-to-day management and work. Blandford staff, board and volunteers commit to ensure equal access to Blandford and all of its educational opportunities by all people.
In essence, diversity includes all the characteristics, experiences, and cultural influences that make each of us unique individuals. All individuals are welcome at Blandford Nature Center, and all individuals, regardless of race, color, age, national origin, sex (including transgender status, gender identity, and pregnancy), religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, status as a parent, will be treated with respect and dignity. By fostering an atmosphere of inclusion and respect, we can continue to value and appreciate the strengths afforded by differences in the styles, ideas, and organizational contributions of each person. We all share the responsibility to ensure diversity and inclusion throughout Blandford, and seek to recruit, engage, and retain a team and leadership composed of volunteers and staff that equitably and fairly represent our constituency.