Director of Accounting
UMRC & Porter Hills
About the Position
The Director of Accounting, under the supervision of the Senior Director of Finance, will have two primary areas of focus, Foundation accounting shore to shore (s2s) and the supervision of the Accounts Payable function s2s.
- Responsible for all facets of financial reporting for both the United Methodist Retirement Communities Foundation and the Porter Hills Foundation.
- Provide oversight and supervision of the s2s accounts payable team and related processes.
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week), Exempt level.
Shift: Day, with flexibility to cover evenings and weekends, as needed.
Location: The selected candidate will work in either Chelsea, MI at Chelsea Retirement Community or Grand Rapids, MI at Porter Hills Village.
Qualified candidates must be able to primarily work in one of the locations above and be able to travel between locations on occasion.
Benefits: Be part of an organization that values their team members and knows the importance of providing a supportive community. Affordable and layered benefit plans for individuals that are hired for 30 or more hours/week, Retirement Savings Plan (with potential Company match), Wellness Reimbursement, Scholarship program and Education Tuition Assistant, 5 STAR staff rating, Paid Time Off, 6 Paid Holidays per year PLUS a paid Floating Holiday and a paid Birthday Holiday, Employee Discounted Lunch options, DAILYPAY, and MORE!
(1) Responsible for the managing the accounting responsibilities of our s2s Foundations (UMRC Foundation & Porter Hills Foundation), including, but not limited to: Accurate and timely monthly financials and annual reporting, consistent with generally accepted accounting principles; Preparing and/or assisting with grant reporting and reconciliations; Accurate and timely IRS 990 Filings/License to Solicit Filings.
(2) Responsible for the oversight of the s2s Accounts Payable function, including, but not limited to: Ensure customer service expectations are achieved; Ensure appropriate policies, procedures and internal controls are in place and adhered to; Assists in Accounts Payable aspects of annual audits.
(3) Participate in the research of proper accounting treatment for material financial issues within the overall UMRCPH, Inc Finance Department
(4) Assisting the Senior Director of Accounting and CFO with financial analysis and proforma work.
(5) Responsible for maintaining a positive, stake-holder focused culture.
Skills and Knowledge
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language and follow written and oral instructions.
- Requires ability to teach; analytical thinking; and demonstrated knowledge in financial reporting and reconciliations.
- Demonstrates respect, sensitivity and flexibility.
- Strong time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and manage internal stakeholders at all levels within a highly matrixed organization, working across cross-functional, cross-organizational teams.
- Expertise in the accounting processes, monthly and annual reporting, grant and investment analysis and management, financial analysis and strategic planning.
- Know, teach and live out the Mission, Guiding Beliefs of UMRC.
- Manage from a position of compassion, passion and servitude.
- Customer Service is key to relationships within and outside the organization. Make this a program achievement.
Every effort has been made to make your job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- A minimum of 6 years of finance work experience, preferably in a not-for-profit, healthcare, or senior living environment.
- CPA is required
- Master’s degree in finance, Accounting, or a related field.
How to Apply
To be considered, apply at: Director of Accounting
About the Organization
United Methodist Retirement Communities and Porter Hills Retirement Communities have been a beacon of innovation and inspiration in senior care options for more than 110 years. While we are committed to the highest standards in our business practices, we are focused exclusively on our mission and guiding beliefs. We believe that our residents, their families, our employees, and our communities all benefit from our faith-based, non-profit approach.
Join our team of compassionate and skilled staff and love what you do every day!
UMRC & Porter Hills, INC. is a federally funded program
through CMS and the State of Michigan. All employees are expected to adhere to
the Resident and Participant Rights.
UMRC & Porter Hills, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.