Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
About the Position
This position is responsible for leading fundraising efforts through identification, solicitation and managing relationships with current and potential mid- and high-level donor prospects. Responsible for creating and maintaining the systems and processes required to manage fund drives, grant opportunities, annual giving and planned giving programs. This position will involve establishing and maintaining valuable relationships with MFB stakeholders and other community leaders, and works to increase MFB’s visibility while representing MFB in the community. Works closely with the Vice President of Advancement, department staff, members of the Mary Free Bed Guild and Hospital Board, and volunteers in creating and executing a comprehensive plan for annual fund development. The position may act as the primary point person on behalf of programs such as WAS and ABVI in cooperation with the Foundation’s development team.
Salary range: 70k-90k
Department: Fund Development
Reporting Relationship: Director of Planned Giving
FLSA Class: Exempt/Salaried
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Manages strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation and relations.
- Responsible for development reports to the VP of Development on behalf specified programs, areas of expertise or development efforts within Mary Free Bed.
- Cultivates external and internal relationships to ensure success of various fundraising efforts.
- Ensures fundraising efforts support organizational diversity, equity and inclusion in our organization and community, and adapt our efforts related to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship methods to build relationships with people from all backgrounds.
- Works independently and is self-motivated to cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Creates and implements annual fundraising plan including, but not limited to, annual fund drive; donor communication; deferred gifts; grant writing; foundation, corporate and individual support; special events; direct mail; and endowment funding.
- Researches and contacts new or potential corporate, foundation, government and individual donors to highlight philanthropic opportunities and impact at Mary Free Bed.
- Develops and manages identified list of active major gifts prospects and implements strategies for solicitation and stewardship of these prospects.
- Researches potential grant opportunities from both private foundations and tax supported entities, writes grants as necessary as well as post award grant reports.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date moves management information on existing and prospective sponsors including funding cycles, relevant deadlines, funding priorities, and all communications with the funder/prospect (in fund development database).
- Draft/edit proposals, final reports, solicitation letters and other written materials as needed. Includes the submission of budget and financial information. Work closely with MFB’s Marketing Team in the finalization of all sponsor and event print materials.
- Collaborates with the entire department staff, members of the Mary Free Bed Guild and Hospital Board, and volunteers.
- Works collaboratively with the VP of Development to determine annual fundraising revenue objectives.
- Create and manage strategic and detailed plans that meet annual and long-term resource development objectives.
- Works with Marketing Department to develop promotional publications, web content and other communication tools used in conjunction with donor activities, special events and to cultivate relationships with donors and others in the community.
- Works with the Foundation team to process gifts and maintain accurate accounting of all unrestricted income and its sources.
- Works with hospital partners to develop regional donors.
- Cultivates and nurtures relationships with current and potential corporate and foundation sponsors and individual donors.
- Works with the Finance office to process gifts and maintain accurate accounting of all unrestricted income and its sources.
- Assists with other fund development efforts as needed.
- Intermittent local travel.
- Embrace Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, by:
Treating everyone with dignity and respect
Opening more doors to opportunities for underrepresented cultures
Growing talent and people
Evaluating and eliminating disparities
Taking action against injustices, bias and racism
Honoring our differences and how to collaborate
Educating staff, patients and the communities we care for
Restoring Hope and Freedom, together
Customer Service Responsibilities
Demonstrate excellent customer service and standards of behaviors as well as encourages, coaches, and monitors the same in team members. This individual should consistently promote teamwork and direct communication with co-workers and deal discretely and sensitively with confidential information.
Responsibilities in Quality Improvement
Contribute by identifying problems and seeking solutions. Promote patient/family satisfaction where possible; participates in departmental efforts to monitor and report customer service.
Essential Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in allied health area, nonprofit administration, fundraising, public administration, business administration, or writing/communications (or other relevant field) from an accredited college or university.
- At least five years of proven fundraising experience in nonprofit development, with significant foundation and mid-level and/or major donor fundraising experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the West Michigan community.
- Proven ability to achieve revenue targets.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, both written and verbally, about the organization and its mission. Able to participate in public speaking events.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base.
- High-energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative with an ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development.
- Sense of urgency, collaborative team style, and ability to quickly adapt to changes in priorities with strong decision making skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks for timely project completions.
- Accomplished leader with strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with a broad array of people
- Demonstrated commitment to organizational mission with a “whatever it takes” attitude to get the job done.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, email, and general internet functions.
- Occasional travel.
- Occasional night and weekend activities.
- Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Experience working in a healthcare and/or non-profit setting.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce and/or Gift Works software.
How to Apply
Resumes can be directed to – firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
Mary Free Bed Summary
We have the great privilege of helping patients and families re-build their lives. It’s extraordinarily meaningful work and the reason we greet the day with optimism and anticipation. When patients “Ask for Mary,” they experience a culture that has been sculpted for more than a century. Our hallmark is to carefully listen to patients and innovatively serve them. This is true of every employee, from support staff and leadership, to clinicians and care providers.
Mary Free Bed is a not-for-profit, nationally accredited rehabilitation hospital serving thousands of children and adults each year through inpatient, outpatient, sub-acute rehabilitation, orthotics and prosthetics and home and community programs. With the most comprehensive rehabilitation services in Michigan and an exclusive focus on rehabilitation, Mary Free Bed physicians, nurses and therapists help our patients achieve outstanding clinical outcomes. The growing Mary Free Bed Network provides patients throughout the state with access to our unique standard of care
Restoring hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
Employment Value Proposition
At Mary Free Bed, we take pride in our values-based culture:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. OurCommitment to providing an inclusive environment for patients, families, staff, and community, through embracing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion T.O.G.E.T.H.E.R.
- Focus on Patient Care. A selfless drive to serve and heal connects all MFB employees.
- Clinical Variety and Challenge. An inter-disciplinary approach and a top team of professionals create ever-changing opportunities and activities.
- Family Culture. We offer the stability of a large organization while nurturing the family/team atmosphere of a small organization.
- Trust in Each Other. Each employee knows that co-workers can be trusted to make the right decision for our family, patients, staff, and community.
- A Proud Tradition. Years of dedicated, quality service to our patients and community have yielded a reputation that fills our employees with pride.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. If you require a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of this position, you must request accommodation in writing, within 182 days after you know or should know of the need for accommodation.
Mary Free Bed is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or other legally protected characteristic.