Baxter Community Center
About the Position
FT Salaried – Reports to Executive Director.
Here is your opportunity to join Baxter’s team. We are seeking an individual who shares our values with a strong commitment to building community and strengthening opportunities for others.
Position Overview: The Development Director will develop and implement an annual fund-development plan that will sustain and strengthen the organization’s future. To be successful in this role, the Development Director will be multi-faceted: overseeing annual solicitations and events, building relationships with current donors and prospects, expanding Baxter’s corporate partnerships and leading marketing efforts within the organization. We are looking for someone who is a detailed and persuasive writer, has strong interpersonal skills, maintains a consistent and devoted work ethic, and casts a vision for achieving annual revenue goals through a systematic approach of donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. This person will feel comfortable working in an environment that requires the capacity to balance multiple priorities and competing deadlines, while focusing on the organizational goals and desired outcomes. An ideal candidate for this role will also be adept at managing Baxter’s fund development plan through specific and coordinated donor relations strategies, monitoring both monetary and non-monetary key performance indicators. Prefer a candidate with a minimum of five years of fund development/sales experience.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate dependent on education, background and experience.
- Benefits: Competitive package including health insurance.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature, and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by the Development Director. It is not a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to do this job.
Fund Development and Communication Strategies:
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to determine annual fund development objectives.
- Create and implement a strategic plan to meet annual and long-term resource development objectives. Increase operating budget with new and renewed gifts.
- Supervise the use of fundraising software to support development activities and the organization’s financial decision-making. Track and monitor effective processes for gift inputting, gift recognition and donor scheduling and retention, budget, as well as financial goals, revenue, and expense compliance.
- Develop new avenues for marketing Baxter Community Center’s services and gaining exposure for the organization.
- Remain alert to potential public relations opportunities within the organization. Maintain positive working relationships with local news media and issue press releases or seek coverage as appropriate.
Interface with Others:
- Create, manage, and develop a portfolio of major gift contributors, including individuals, trusts, corporations and foundations.
- Recruit and renew donor development committee members. Ensure committee and board members have appropriate tools, training, and support to be effective and efficient in their work on the organization’s behalf.
- Represent development interests at the Board and engage Board and staff members in a culture of philanthropy. Act as liaison to staff for development communications.
- Oversee the direct mail process and write compelling print materials (newsletter, appeals, etc.) and e-communications to ensure best practices are met or exceeded.
- Provide direction for marketing initiatives including website, social media, and traditional promotions to create an exciting and broad communication mechanism; issuing media release and being aware of appropriate outlets for communicating message to the public.
- Coordinate with the contracted grant writer and manage the grant writing process. Track the submission of proposals, monitor deadlines, and provide oversight for follow-up reports.
- Develop profiles for prospective donors and current donors through research and leads, identifying prospects, arranging meetings with prospects.
- Prepare proposals for potential individual donors, foundations, churches, and corporations.
- Provide direction to staff and volunteers related to all aspects of fundraising and grant strategy, member recruitment, marketing and public relations, board recruitment and internal and external communications as part of the senior leadership team.
- Promote agency programs through community/corporate presentations
- Create goals and measure success for all annual fund development events, performing reviews of how each activity works into the overall development plan strategy.
- Lead staff and volunteer committees in development and execution of fund-raising events.
- Manage aspects of agency tours including inviting donors, community members, and manage follow-up process for all tour attendees.
- Develop and implement corporate sponsorship initiative for all events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- A deep resonance with Baxter’s mission, as well as a disposition for ongoing learning related to the organization’s mission and purpose.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, both written and verbally, about the organization and its mission.
- Strength in organization, execution, and follow-up, with a proven ability to partner with senior leadership to align organizational priorities and measure success.
- Strong listening skills to hear donors’ and other stakeholders’ passions and an ability to connect those passions to Baxter’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree or above, and three years of proven experience working in a culture of excellence and achievement.
- Previous experience (ideally 5 years) within a Fund Development setting of a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage resource development activities.
- Ability to interact with all stakeholders including board, donors, staff, community, and neighborhood.
- High self-motivation, accountability, and ability to make decisions independently
- Required skills in office management suite, email, and general internet functions. Some comfort with Social Media and e-tapestry preferred.
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including occasional nights and weekends
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
About the Organization
Who we are: Baxter Community Center has been a faithful and dynamic presence in the Baxter neighborhood for over 50 years. Together we provide programs and services such as early childhood education, after-school programming and mentoring, and access to quality health care and healthy foods through our Medical and Dental Centers and Marketplace. Baxter’s vision for the next decade is to develop our Child Development Center into a model learning center, expand and develop our Health Center and provide other programs that are responsive to the needs of the Baxter neighborhood and adjacent areas. Externally, Baxter will be a key partner collaborating with diverse community groups in the Grand Rapids area. We have a team of 37 employees and a current operating budget of $1.6M.