Director of Development and Communications
Blandford Nature Center
About the Position
The Director of Development & Communications (DoDC) is responsible for managing an active department at Blandford Nature Center. This department is responsible for all fundraising activities, special events and facility rentals, and organizational marketing and communications. This includes: preparing comprehensive fundraising plans, motivating and coordinating efforts of board members, volunteers, and staff in fundraising activities; and educating, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospects. Given the close relationship between communications and fundraising, the DoDC also supervises staff and volunteers as they accomplish goals related to marketing and communications. This position is also responsible for overseeing facility rentals and special events. The position directly supervises a Development Specialist and Marketing Specialist but may in the future take on more employees, including the Visitor Services staff.
The work schedule is generally weekday business hours (9 am to 5 pm) with evenings and weekends required for rentals and for special fundraising and donor cultivation events.
This is a paid, exempt, full-time position working 40+ hours per week, with a starting salary in the range of $46,500 to $62,500 per year, depending on relevant experience. This position qualifies for paid holidays and annual leave (PTO), participation in health insurance, Blandford Nature Center membership, and participation in a SIMPLE IRA plan with an up to 3% employer match.
FLSA Status: Exempt Permanent Full-Time
Reports to: President/CEO
Duties & Responsibilities
Administer the Comprehensive Fundraising Program
- Plan, set goals, and execute initiatives for the annual fund, the membership program, foundation grants, major gifts, planned giving, government relations, and special campaigns and fundraising events/galas
- Engage the President/CEO, board members, and staff in strategic conversations and activities tied to planning and securing philanthropic funds
- Work closely with the President/CEO organize and focus the work of volunteer committees
- Assist President/CEO and others with identifying and setting up meetings with key donors/prospects
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, steward, and recognize donors and prospects
- Inform donors and prospects about the Center’s mission and programs, develop the case for support, and create opportunities for giving
- Oversee and manage donor tracking system to ensure accountability and support long-term goals
- Provide leadership to the fundraising program by securing funds through individual and team efforts
- Oversee and build a donor stewardship program
- Oversee appeals, correspondence, and record-keeping
- Supervise the planning and implementation of all fundraising events
Administer the Comprehensive Marketing & Communications Program
- Oversee the creation and implementation of plans, and budget for, Blandford Nature Center’s comprehensive marketing program (print materials, social media, website, media outreach, etc.)
Administer the Facility Rental Program
- Oversee the creation and implementation of plans, marketing materials, and budget for Blandford Nature Center’s facility rental program
- Create and manage a Development Department budget that includes fundraising/rentals/marketing goals and expenses
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Train and mentor staff and volunteers in fundraising practices and techniques
- Provide monthly department reports to the President/CEO
- Attend staff meetings and participate in staff development
- Assess Department operations and recommend improvements to President/CEO
- Coordinate with other staff and follow appropriate bookkeeping procedures as needed
The attitudes and personal characteristics demonstrated in this position are
- Self-motivated, problem solver with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Make decisions requiring good judgment in the absence of specific directions
- Detailed-oriented, meticulous and organized
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple assignments and activities
- Enthusiasm, poise, flexibility, a sense of humor, and a positive attitude
- Technology savvy and able to learn new computer programs
- Projecting a positive and professional image within and outside the organization
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Fundraising experience with demonstrated success as an individual performer in a fundraising capacity and as a member of a fundraising team within a nonprofit organization
- Familiarity and/or direct professional experience with all areas of fund development, including annual fund, major gifts, grant writing, planned giving, administration, and correspondence
- Familiarity and/or direct professional experience in marketing and communications
- Ensure the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is promoted within the Center’s mission
- Ensure departmental goals are established and attained in service to the Center’s overall DEI plan
- Represent organizational DEI initiatives and efforts at key events and outside institutions
- Assess and evaluate the diversity and inclusion deliverables
- Excellent communication skills. Able to effectively interact well on the phone and in writing
- Excellent computer skills required, including Microsoft Office Suite, and mail merge. Knowledge of DonorSnap a plus
- Criminal history background check will be required
- Valid driver’s license required for periodic errands
Supervisory experience preferred.
How to Apply
Please visit blandfordnaturecenter.org/employment-opportunities/ and click on the Job Board button to complete your application.
- Submit cover letter and resume as one (1) document when prompted to upload your resume
- List three (3) professional references and NOT three (3) personal references
Interviews will begin as qualified application packages are received.
About the Organization
Blandford Nature Center’s Mission:
To engage and empower our community through enriching experiences in nature.
Blandford Nature Center’s Vision:
A thriving, diverse community that supports a healthy, natural world.
Blandford Nature Center’s Values:
- Inclusion: Intentionally welcoming and embracing everyone.
- Stewardship: Responsibly using and caring for all our resources.
- Integrity: Demonstrating honesty, authenticity, and transparency within our organization and community.
- Experiential: Providing direct opportunities to enjoy, explore, and learn in nature.
- Partnership: Connecting and collaborating to effectively serve our community.
- Innovation: Using creativity and curiosity to continuously improve.
The policy of the Blandford Nature Center is to ensure that diversity, inclusiveness, and respect are integral parts of our day-to-day management and work. Blandford staff, board and volunteers commit to ensure equal access to Blandford and all of its educational opportunities by all people.
In essence, diversity includes all the characteristics, experiences, and cultural influences that make each of us unique individuals. All individuals are welcome at Blandford Nature Center, and all individuals, regardless of race, color, age, national origin, sex (including transgender status, gender identity, and pregnancy), religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, political affiliation, status as a parent, will be treated with respect and dignity. By fostering an atmosphere of inclusion and respect, we can continue to value and appreciate the strengths afforded by differences in the styles, ideas, and organizational contributions of each person. We all share the responsibility to ensure diversity and inclusion throughout Blandford, and seek to recruit, engage, and retain a leadership composed of volunteers and staff that equitably and fairly represent our constituency.